The MA “Circuit Breaker” Income Tax Credit for Homeowners and Renters Age 65 and Older

The Massachusetts “Circuit Breaker” tax credit program is a program for adults age 65 + whose property taxes and half of the water and sewer bills are more than 10% of their annual gross income (or for renters, if their rent is greater than 25% of their income) and who meet a few other rules.  You can receive this income tax credit even if you owe no state income taxes! Also, you can get this refundable tax credit if you also receive a local property tax exemption from your town’s Tax Assessor. 

Who is eligible?

  • You must be a Massachusetts resident or part-year resident.
  • You must be 65 or older by December 31
  • You must file a Massachusetts personal income tax return.
  • You must own or rent residential property in Massachusetts and occupy it as your primary residence.
  • For the tax year, your total Massachusetts income doesn’t exceed:
  • $57,000 for a single individual who is not the head of a household.
  • $72,000 for a head of household.
  • $86,000 for married couples filling a joint return.

For help filing a tax return or amended returns for prior years, call your local council on aging at 978-443-3055 to schedule an appointment with a Volunteer tax aide.

To download the income tax credit tax forms-Form 1 and Schedule CB Form-go to the official Department of Revenue site at: . Or ask Council on Aging staff to print the forms for you.